Message Title: GODLINESS: GATEWAY TO GREATNESS. Pt. 2.
By: Pastor Peter Bassey (Resident Pastor, LFC Ekpan).
Your greatness is not in doubt as a child of God. Your natural heritage is greatness, because God did not create you to be a slave, but to rule and reign over your enemies. Redemption positions you for greatness. The first person that announced the greatness of Jesus was John the Baptist and he was born great. Indeed, Jesus was born great Lk. 1:15. Also, going back further our root as Christians, our fathers were great. Abraham was great and as his heirs we are great (Gal. 3:29). Isaac also exhibited greatness (Gen. 26:14). You are born in greatness as a Christian and your family background or educational qualifications cannot stop your greatness when you walk in understanding.
There is a path of greatness and that path is Godliness Prov. 14:44.
WHAT IS GODLINESS?
- Godliness is following God exclusively.
- Godliness is behaving like God.
- Godliness is practicing the scriptures. It is not the absence of sin, but rather a determined and conscious effort to walk away from sin and to please God and to do right Acts. 24:16, 1 Jn. 4.
- Godliness does not have to do with just confession of sin, but acknowledgement of the sin and practical steps to run away from it Prov. 28:13, Psa. 51:10.
Essentially therefore, Godliness is an exercise of oneself to do the things that are pleasing to God at all times 1 Tim. 4:7-8. It must be noted that just as physical exercise is generally not convenient, but must be done if one must be fit physically, so is spiritual exercise not convenient but must be done to maintain spiritual fitness. This means one must guard his heart because that is what dictates one’s actions Prov. 4:23.
One must also recognize that there are spiritual forces behind sin, just as the Holy Spirit is the spirit behind righteousness.
SOME OF THE SPIRIT BEHIND THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITIES INCLUDE:
- THE SPIRIT OF DISOBEDIENCE 1 Sam. 15:23.
Disobedience is a form of rebellion and stubbornness, which the bible equates to the sin of idolatry and witchcraft. You cannot walk in disobedience and exercise dominion, because it takes someone under authority to exercise dominion Matt. 8:12, Eph. 2:1-2. Disobedience breaks the hedge of protection that God places over His people and exposes one to all forms of evil occurrences Eccl. 10:8.
- THE LYING SPIRIT 1 Kings 22:22.
This spirit causes people to lie even when lying is not necessary and gives no advantage. Lying is a dangerous spirit because it can result in death, just as in the case of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-11). One common way people lie is when they want to sell and in persuading a customer to buy, they will lie about the cost price of goods and services. You do not need to tell a customer the cost price of a product, but the selling price, so this is an unnecessary lie.
HOW TO OVERCOME UNGODLINESS.
- You must make the choice to be born again, and as a child of God, the spirit of disobedience and lying will no longer have dominion over you because being born again puts you in agreement with God and it is only when two agree that they can walk and work together Amos 3:3
- Put on Godly habits and characters such as patience, kindness, meekness, love and walking in forgiveness Col. 3:10-13.
- Follow the rules of Godliness and put away anything that defiles. Things like intake of alcohol which brings in another spirit into man and God’s spirit cannot strive with another spirit Gen. 6:3. One must continually strive to put away things that defile one in spite of human imperfections Phil. 3:12-13.
- Keep a right company. If you want to walk in Godliness, keep away from sinners. Also to take pleasure in sin is equally bad in the sights of God Rom. 1:31-32. Having pleasure in the people that do wrong things make you wrong. You want to do the right thing before God, stay away from wrong people. Understand that friendship is by choice, so you do not need to be unnecessarily close to anyone that takes you away from God. Evil communication corrupts good manner 1 Cor. 15:33, Prov. 13:20.
- Engage in violent faith. Violent faith means resisting the devil and he will flee from you (James 4:7). What you do not resist has a right to remain in your life. You cannot have eternal life if you do not fight for it 1 Tim. 6:12. This includes fighting your own thought to resist sin. If you can fight sin as a thought in your heart and kill it there, you kill it for life. Anything that wants to tamper with Godliness must be fought by all means Heb. 12:4.
- Engage the power of the blood of Jesus. You often need the blood of Jesus to be able to overcome some sinful habits and characters. There are certain things you do and you know are wrong but still do them, but by the blood you can overcome Zec. 9:11-12. All things are purged by the blood Heb. 9:22.
Godliness is not circumstantial. It is the heart that determines it, just like the three (3) Hebrew boys were Godly in spite of great danger. Daniel proposed in his heart to serve God in spite of the danger Dan. 1:8. Mordecai was a gateman that refused to serve a strange God.
Righteousness also brings about prosperity, because it makes one to enjoy open doors from God and when God opens a door, no man can close it Rev. 3:8.
BLESSINGS OF GODLINESS
- Fresh unction and the empowerment of the Holy spirit Lk. 5:37-39, Eccl. 9:8, Prov. 9:22.
- Supernatural prosperity Psa. 92:12-14, Prov. 20:4.
- It opens the doors of exploits that results in greatness Dan. 11:32; 2:46. Having knowledge of God is not just been able to read and know the scriptures but to practice what is in the scripture.
- Godliness guarantees eternity. Life on earth is limited, but life in heaven is eternal and only Godliness can get you to heaven. If heaven must be your ultimate destination, Godliness must be your vocation on the earth.
*SHARE THIS MESSAGE TO BLESS YOUR FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES.
** THE COMPLETE VERSION OF THIS MESSAGE IN CD/MP3 AND DVD FORMAT IS AVAILABLE AT THE DOMINION BOOKSHOP (DBS), LFC, EKPAN.